Quilt Direct Products
Quilter’s Rule is a family-run business offering a great range of Design Tools for quilting. Patricia Simon from Quilter’s Rule will be spending some time with us at Stand B32 at the Festival of Quilts, and will also be hosting 2 talks:
- Templates/Rulers & Machine Quilting: A Primer Course – Sunday, 12 August 10:30
- Unlock your Creativity: The Key is Templates/Rulers – Sunday, 12 August 15:30
Patricia has developed a knack for designing different quilting patterns which she will be demonstrating at Festival of Quilts. Her signature class “Unlock Your Creativity (The Key is Templates)” has opened a whole new world to people who are not naturally artists. Her techniques are applicable to all quilters regardless of whether you hand quilt, use a home machine, a short-arm, a mid-arm, or a long-arm machine. These techniques can even be used in a variety of different crafts. All Quilter’s Rule products come with an easy to understand downloadable instructions.
If you’d like to see Patricia in action pop along to the Quilt Direct Stand at Festival of Quilts or book one of Patricia’s classes.
Have a look at Quilt Direct’s great range of Quilter’s Rule products. We look forward to seeing you at the Festival of Quilts.
Roc-Lon have been creating superior muslins since 1832, and Quilt Direct are really pleased to be stocking a selection of these fine American muslins. The softness and thread counts of these muslins is perfect for hand or machine quilting. The quality is excellent and can be used for whole cloth quilting and or piecing.
Roc-Lon Natural Super Muslin
44/45” and ideal for those projects that require a little extra weight such as bags or baskets. 100% Cotton, Permanent Press Finish. Unbleached, Preshrunk with (2-3% Residual Shrinkage). Thread Count 92×76*
Roc-Lon Tea- Dyed Muslin
44/45” this muslin is great for Antique Quilts or Period Costumes. 100% Cotton, Permanent Press Finish. Tea-dyed Preshrunk with (2-3% Residual Shrinkage). Thread Count 92×76*
Roc-Lon Unbleached Muslin 118″
Available in three widths – 118″, 108″, 90″. Unbleached muslin is the perfect choice for backing quilts with no seams to deal with. 100% Cotton, Permanent Press Finish. Unbleached Preshrunk with (3-5% Residual Shrinkage). Thread Count 68×68
44″ Osnaburg is just what you need for creating projects with a Vintage, Homespun or Natural Look. 100% Cotton, Permanent Press Finish. Preshrunk with 3-5% Residual Shrinkage. Thread Count 40×32
Roc-Lon Ava-lon Muslin
90″ A Superior Muslin soft and smooth for quilts, piecing, appliqué backgrounds as well as home furnishings. 100% Cotton Permanent Press. Thread Count 200 x 200
Roc-Lon Ava-lon Bleached Muslin
90″ A Superior Bleached Muslin soft and smooth for quilts, piecing, appliqué backgrounds as well as home furnishings. 100% Cotton Permanent Press. Thread Count 200 x 200
The Accents in Design Fine Line Ruler is designed for all types of quilters, quilting machines and right or left handed quilters.
The ruler base is 1/4″ (.236 thick acrylic) thickness and 2-1/2″ wide. By transferring the ability to control the ruler with your fingers using the finger grips, you will ease tension in your shoulders while quilting — the placement of your fingers on the ruler is a natural position for your hand and your arm.
When using traditional rulers and templates with a longarm or frame system, keeping your ruler or template in place puts pressure on the base of the ruler or template. This will sandwich your quilt top under the ruler and puts pressure on the ruler base on the underside of your quilt. This method can create inconsistent stitches because your machine isn’t able to glide as freely across the top of your quilt with the added pressure.
Traditional rulers and templates cannot be utilized by the sit-down machine quilter — the design of the Accents in Design Fine Line Ruler has changed that! It offers excellent control. Using the Fine Line Quilter’s Ruler on a home sewing machine system, you never have to break your thread, raise your feed dogs, or change to your walking foot to achieve straight line designs. You can easily outline a block with “stitch in the ditch”, or outline your patterns within your block and continue on in “free-motion” without ever breaking your threads.
Sit-down machine quilters can outline a Mariner’s Compass motif without turning their quilt. Don’t pivot your quilts to change stitching directions, change the angle of your ruler and complete vertical, horizontal and diagonal design elements.
- Thick crystal clear cast acrylic base for durability and an unobstructed view of your pattern and material.
- Resistance strip on the underside of the ruler base keeps your ruler in place while quilting.
- Laser scoring on the underside for design width accuracy. Incremental scoring (from needle down) edge of ruler base to edge of hopping foot = 1/4″, first scoring from ruler edge = 1/2″, second scoring from ruler edge = 1″ of width for your designs.
- Incremental scoring is the same on both sides of the ruler base. No matter which hand or direction your ruler is placed, the incremental scoring is the same.
- Finger grips: Promote a natural hand position on the ruler. Keeps you in control of your ruler at all times. Allows you to manipulate the ruler, even a tiny bit, to keep you stitching where you need to be. With the finger grips you can have light resistance or strong resistance on your quilt top. The control is where it needs to be.
Buy Accents in Design Fine Line Ruler from Quilt Direct
Always buy the best cutting mat you can afford – Quilt Direct stock a range of cutting mats (give us a call if you need some advice).
Cutting Mat Cleaner
Invest in a cutting mat cleaner- it’s worth it. A cutting mat cleaner will prolong the life of your cutting mat by removing embedded fibres and lint. It is simple to use – just brush the cleaner across the cutting mat and any fibres will be pulled out of the crevasses. Clean the cutting mat cleaner under cold water and reuse.
Some useful tips on caring for your cutting mat
- Store it lying flat. – don’t roll it or store it on its edge
- Don’t use it for anything but cutting – it is not a coaster!
- Don’t leave it in direct sunlight or stored too close to radiators etc
- Moisturize your mat every now and again by soaking it for about 20 minutes in a bath of cool water mixed with ¼ cup of white vinegar to every gallon of water. Rinse and dry – but no heat or direct sunlight! This is particularly useful for mats that might be a little smelly
- Avoid repeated cutting lines by cutting on different sections of the mat. Repeatedly cutting on measured lines could create grooves and end up slicing right through your mat
In honour of their 10th birthday, Aurifil have produced this fabulous brochure “All About Aurifil”.
It contains some useful information relating to Aurifil products, all easy to read and accompanied by some gorgeous images.
Aurifil is 100% Egyptian Cotton, grown on the banks of the Nile in Egypt. The cotton is then transported to Milan, where it is made into thread. Aurifil offer six different weights of cotton, as well as a wool/acrylic blend, polyester and monofilament.
The brochure gives details of all the Aurifil threads:
- 12wt – this is the heaviest weight thread, perfect for embroidery and quilting
- 28wt – the second heaviest, used for double strand cross stitch, blanket stitch, quilting and machine lace
- 40wt – slightly thicker weight makes it perfect for use with sewing bags, toys or dolls
- 50wt – for piecing, subtle quilting & top stitching, and English paper piecing. The slightly thinner weight creates more accurate and flatter seams
- 80wt – the newest member of the Aurifil family. Perfect for a variety of techniques, including English Paper Piecing, Hand Applique and Machine Embroidery
- Wool – 12wt thread in a lovely, soft blend of 50% acrylic and 50% wool. Use this thread when you want to create texture or visually pleasing details
- Floss – A brilliant six-strand divisible thread that may be used as purchased, or one or more strands may be separated to create thread of various thicknesses. Cross-stitch, Huck embroidery and Miniature punch-needle embroidery
- Polyester Thread – a 40wt high-sheen premium trilobal polyester thread, This thread gives absolutely no lint and no issue with thread breaking. It is perfect for Long-arm Quilters.
How handy is this?
21st century materials to make your free-motion stitching easy without the use of any adhesives – no tape needed. A slippery, non-stick silicon top surface bonded to permanent tacky non-slip back to hold it in place as you stitch. Simply remove the protective kraft sheet and position the hole under your needle – and sew!
- Sewslip for Free machine quilting (half inch diameter hole)
- SewSlip II (one by one and a half inch hole) that has room for feed dogs to operate for stitching difficult fabrics such as leather and waxed cloths or quilting with the walking foot.