The Bernina Q24 Longarm Quilting machine is Bernina’s first longarm quilting machine and features a full 24″ 61cm of quilting space from the needle to the back of the machine. The unique threading path, thread stand, handwheel and machine controls are all located at the front of the machine right where you need them.
The BERNINA Q24 Longarm Quilting Machine is available in three frame sizes:
- Large – 13’ (4.00m). Accommodates quilts up to 120″ (3.05m)
- Classic – 12’ (3.60m). Accommodates quilts up to 108″ (2.75m)
- Small – 9’ (2.75m). Accommodates quilts up to 70″ (1.80m)
The large and classic models both feature Q-Matic, BERNINA’s state-of-the-art system for automated quilting
The BERNINA Frame is strong and smart
- Adjustable foot pads for perfect levelling
- Continuous X and Y-axis track system with no joints
- Angled tracks and wheel axles for accurate and smooth movement of the sewhead to allow even quilting
- Friction-free 16-wheel system
- Leg system for maximum stability
- Multi-step ratchet system for perfect fabric tension
- Integrated latch system for maximum fabric holding power, yet easy release
- Pivot pick-up of magnetically-secured top rail, which allows fabric separation to smooth batting
- Dead bar for perfect fabric height no matter the length of your quilt
- Large diameter rails eliminate rail flex when tensioning the quilt
- Heavy duty canvas leaders with positioning markings for years of quilt loading ease
- Spacious pantograph tabletop to easily align your rolled patterns
- 4 bungee clamps to align every quilt to perfection
- Convenient tool trays for your longarm quilting tools
Other BERNINA Q24 features include:
- BERNINA Longarm Stitch Regulation
Master hand-guided quilting quickly with the assistance of the integrated BERNINA Stitch Regulator. The BERNINA Longarm Stitch Regulator is simple to activate and simple to customize using the machine’s touch screen. Set the stitch length as preferred for a variety of quilting styles. The BERNINA Longarm Stitch Regulator keeps the stitch length consistent even at variable stitching speeds. Choose between three stitch regulation modes, including a basting mode or a fully manual mode.
- Unique user interface
BERNINA brings the best of the domestic machine world to the longarm world with a simple to navigate, colour touch screen. Totally customizable, it includes useful functionalities like a stitch counter and built-in tutorial.
- Unique threading path and integrated bobbin winder
The forward position of the thread stand is easy to reach and the threading path simple to follow. The integrated bobbin winder is just one of the small details that make this machine unique.
- Unique ergonomics
The unique and fully articulating handles can be moved to just the right position for all of your quilting needs. Whether stitching edge-to-edge, custom motifs or ruler work the handles can be adjusted for visibility and comfort. Program each of the buttons on each handle to keep frequently used functions at your fingertips. Edge-to-edge/pantograph style quilt designs can be easily guided with the optional rear handle system and screen.
- Unique tension control
The BERNINA Q24 Longarm models offer the industry’s only presser foot tension release for threading ease. The exclusive tension system features numeric tension settings making it very easy to use a variety of thread types with success.
With 2,200 stitches per minute for hand-guided quilting, you will complete more quilts more quickly than ever.
- LED lighting
LED lighting along the length of the machine and above the needle illuminates the quilt for enhanced visibility.
View the Bernina Q24 longarm quilting machine range on our website and give us a call to arrange a vist to test drive one of these marvellous machines or find out more about the Q20 sit-down range
The BERNINA Q20 longarm quilting machine comes standard as a sit-down model machine with the choice of three tables. These tables are designed to elegantly handle the speed and weight of the Q20 for optimal performance with style.
Classic lines combined with functionality expandable work space with discreet storage.
Table size basic: 0.91 × 1.15 m (approximately 36″ × 45″)
Table size expanded: 0.91 × 1.96 m (approximately 36″ × 77″)
Working height: 0.75 m (approximately 30″)
Total weight incl. Q 20: 120 kg (265 lbs)
Generous storage space
Colour White Oak
Upgradeable to frame
The RMF – European designed for functionality and style.
Table size : 0.90 × 1.6 m (approximately 36″ × 63″)
Variable working height: 0.82m to 1.28m (approximately 32″ – 50″)
Total weight incl. Q 20: 125 kg (275 lbs)
Generous storage space with 2 generous storage drawers as well as extended workspace around you.
Upgradeable to frame
The Foldable Table – for optimal performance & style
Table size: 0.91m x 1.15m (approximately 36″ x 45″)
Manage larger quilts with full comfort
Handle speed & weight of the Q 20 with ease
Perfect for limited space & easily stored away
Bernina Q20 Longarm Quilting Machine Features
- Easy hand-guided quilting – The integrated BERNINA Longarm Stitch Regulator ensures perfect stitches at equal-length no matter which speed you move the fabric. A manual mode with no stitch regulation is also available.
- Unique user interface – Includes five user profiles, a stitch counter, built-in tutorials.
- Quilting without foot control -The KickStart function allows continuous quilting without the foot control. Easily activated or deactivated via touch screen.
- Fast threading and winding – Easy to reach spool holders and forward threading path. Convenient on-board bobbin winder.
- Unique thread tension control – Exclusive tension system with numeric tension settings for easy use of a wide range of thread types.
- High-speed precision stitching – Up to 2.200 stitches per minute, enabling you to fly through projects.
- Front Operating – The handwheel in the front allows for easy manual needle positioning.
- Excellent Lighting – 50 bright LED lights along the throat space of the machine and above the needle illuminate the quilt for enhanced visibility.
View the Bernina Q20 longarm quilting machine range on our website and give us a call to arrange a vist to test drive one of these marvellous machines
To give our Ladies’ Room at the Bernina Studio the personal touch we embroidered a set of hand towels using the Bernina 700 Embroidery Machine and the new Bernina Midi Hoop with ratchet closing.
It’s all in the preparation! We printed a template of the design (or you could use a stitch out of the outline) then used a ruler and a fabric marker to mark the centre point of the design on the towel.
The next task was to apply the stabiliser to the back of the towel. We chose OESD Cutaway. We lightly sprayed the cutaway with 505 Spray Adhesive and smoothed it onto the back of the towel making sure we had covered the full design area. Then the hooping….we placed the bottom hoop with ratchet open wide on a non slip surface and the inner hoop with template next to it.
Placing a towel in the hoop is made easier with the new style deeper hoops with a ratchet system, but the principle is the same whichever hoop you are using (there are other methods for hooping that we can show you in the future). Pick up the towel & inner hoop with the template aligned with the center marks on the towel and carefully place inside the outer hoop with out losing the centre alignment of the template and marked centre on the towel (we know, easier said than done). Ensuring the towel is flat and smooth but not too tight in the hoop, tighten the ratchet. It is important to ensure that the inner hoop and towel is set a few millimetres deeper than the outer hoop, this stops the outer hoop vibrating on the bed of the machine leaving your design etched on the bed of your machine.
Because the towel has a deep pile, it was necassary to cover the towel surface with a water soluble stabiliser so the pile did not poke out through the stitches (more on the Washaway Stabiliser soon). Now we were almost ready to stitch….over to the machine and the Creative Consultant.
By using the Creative Consultant and choosing the type of embroidery followed by the type of fabric, we were presented with the best settings and needle size to use for optimum stitch out. We used a new Bernina Ball Point needle size 80, and 40wt threads (R&A Rayon, Mettler Polysheen and a Superior Polyester).
Now for our design, we downloaded this from the internet onto a USB stick. You need to use a small capacity USB formated as FAT32 and for most Bernina machines the design needs to be in .exp format.
Almost ready….first of all we opened the design on the machine by going to the Open a Design folder. Selecting the USB Option, we then located the design on our USB which we had inserted.
Once the design was selected, we did a little shuffle on the editing screen to align the centre of the design to match the cross hair on the towel… told you hooping was never easy! We also had to mirror image the design so the deer had his feet towards the bottom of the towel. Finally we selected the stitchout tab and in order to ensure that the washaway stabiliser stayed in place, we selected a basting box around the design .
The basting box needs to be stitched out slowly ensuring the water soluble stays flat and in place. We used Washi Tape and we also recommend OESD washable tape to encourage the washaway to stay put – we used OESD Washaway Toppping and Madeira Avalon to the same effect. We were only using one colour of thread in our design so the choice of bobbin thread was easy! We matched top and bottom the same rather than a bobbinfil.
The most important bit, the sewout, can be seen in our video below.
After removing the embroidery from the hoop, we trimmed away the cut away stabiliser surrounding the design and then trimmed a few connecting stitches.
Most of the water soluble was removed easily around the design but a gentle spritz of water helped with the removal of excess and placement marks.
Our embroidered towel design was complete. All we had to do then was wash and dry them……sigh. If you come to our Bernina Studio perhaps you will see the towels for yourself !
We hope you feel we have given you enough information to have a go at a stitch out a design on a towel. We are available for one to one tuition in the Bernina Studio or you can join us at one of our Bernina Tuition Days.
Tips: Do not use an adhesive backing on towels as peeling away excess will pull the pile. Always use water soluble on the top of your design to keep the pile from peeping through on the finished embroidery. Keep the design fairly simple but dense, or the pile will creep through the stitching over time. Monograms work really well. You can test out a design on an old face cloth. The embroidery designs we have used are from the Embroidery Library. Choose your thread with the way you wash towels in mind. Some threads do not like biological washes or high temperatures.
Products we used for this project:
Maderia Avalon Film Wash Away Stabilizer
OESD Washaway Topping
Superior Rainbows Polyester Thread
OESD Embroidery Wash Away Tape
Bernina Sewing Machines celebrate their 125th anniversary in 2018.
To mark this milestone Bernina produced some fantastic limited edition anniversary products. As 2018 draws to a close don’t miss the opportunity to own some of these fantastic products.
Bernina 125th Anniversary Limited Edition Items
Bernina 125th Anniversary Rulerwork Ruler Set
Out of stock at the time of writing – please use the link above to get notified when back in stock.
Jubilee Ruler Panel Guide by Amanda Murphy
OESD Jubilee Designs USB by Amanda Murphy
There’s also a fab free Star Jubilee pattern available here
Bernina 125th Anniversary Quilt Kits
See the video with details of this fantastic collection
Bernina Foot 1V Reverse Pattern Golden Edition
Bernina 125th Anniversary Cutting Set Limited Edition
Contact Quilt Direct on 01822 810877 to find out more about this and other products
BERNINA Toolbox – Embroidery made easy.
Do what you want to do! With BERNINA Toolbox, you not only have the right tool for the job but you can access a number of inspiring designs and templates. Let your imagination run wild and make the most out of your ideas: custom embroidered works of art that will delight your friends and family! Get started with Mac, PC or Tablet, compatible with all common Embroidery Machines.
BERNINA Toolbox Editing
- Edit embroidery designs
- Modify designs or objects
- Combine, rotate or duplicate
Mirror & rescale designs
- 100 embroidery designs for free
BERNINA Toolbox Lettering
- Embroider individual lettering
- 100 alphabets to choose from
- 6 text shapes
- 5 two-tone fonts
- 200 embroidery designs for free
BERNINA Toolbox -Lettering Basic
- Get started with embroidering letters
- 20 alphabets to choose from
- 6 text shapes
Widen and italicize lettering
- 100 embroidery designs for free
BERNINA Toolbox Monogramming
- Monograms for personalization
- 15 specially designed alphabets
- 10 monograms for very small lettering
1 to 3-letter monograms
- 100 embroidery designs for free
Select separate modules or get a discount when you buy the complete BERNINA Toolbox Bundle
Bernina have given us a link to download the basic version of the Bernina Artlink Embroidery Software. This allows easy re-sizing and re-colouring of designs and is specifically used to reformat and download designs from your PC to your Bernina embroidery machines.
Artlink has an improved user interface and is compatible with most brands – not just Bernina.
If you need more than the free version has to offer, then you might consider buying the latest full Bernina Designer Plus Version Software from QuiltDirect.
Keep an eye on Quilt Direct for special offers and new products
BERNINA presser feet are in a class of their own. Watch this video to see how they are produced and what makes them so special. Each BERNINA foot is precision-engineered for a specific task. The robust shanks and soles are made of the finest materials and processed with the utmost care and expertise.
What you can expect when you buy a BERNINA Presser Foot from Quilt Direct:
- Finest materials
- Swiss engineered quality
- State of art technology
- Know how
- Excellent Quality Control
- Passion for detail
- Superb service from the Quilt Direct team
From now until the end of May 2018 the Bernina 770QE is available from Quilt Direct for only £2,995 saving £200.
- The BERNINA Hook – a centrally placed driver which allows the BERNINA Hook to run fast and quiet. The BERNINA Hook can sew high-precision stitches up to 9 mm at speeds up to 1,000 stitches per minute, and the bobbin holds up to 70% more thread.
- Extended Freearm – a meticulously engineered extended freearm with 10 inches of space to the right of the needle providing plenty of space for large, beautiful sewing and quilting projects.
- BERNINA Adaptive Thread Tension – electronically adjusts to the selected stitch width, length, speed, and needle position on each penetration of the needle into the fabric. The result is the finest stitching without pressing a button.
- BERNINA Patchwork foot 97D – with movable guide rail it provides extra reliability for when joining together the patchwork pieces. When used in conjunction with the straight stitch needle place, it enables you to achieve a perfect stitch result.
- BERNINA Dual Feed – tames hard-to-manage fabrics providing superb fabric feed and optimum visibility while sewing. Easy to engage when needed, the BERNINA Dual Feed tucks completely out of the way when it’s not.
- The BERNINA Stitch Regulator (BSR) – assists with free-motion sewing and quilting with a straight or zigzag stitch, ensuring stitches of the exact same length even at variable sewing speeds.
- Embroidery Unit – simply slot the embroidery unit into the machine and off you go! With 140 Designs and 6 Alphabets you will have plenty of inspiration.
- Free Tuition – Quilt Direct offer up to 1½ days free tuition in beautiful Devon. There are also free tuition days at the Bernina Tuition Centre in London.
There are some great accessories available with the 770QE
|Presser Feet: 7||4 Bobbins|
|Reverse Pattern Foot 1C (9mm)||1 Pack Asstd Needles|
|Reverse Pattern Foot 1D (9mm Dual Feed)||Height Compensation Tool|
|Automatic Buttonhole Foot 3A||Seam Guide Right|
|Zipper Foot 4D (Dual Feed)||Seam Ripper|
|Open Toe Embroidery Foot 20C (9mm)||Small Screwdriver|
|Patchwork Foot 97D (Dual Feed)||Touch Screen Pen|
|BERNINA Stitch Regulator (BSR) 42||Angular Torx Tool|
|Instruction Manual||Torx Screw Driver|
|Instructional Presentation DVD||3 Spool Retainers|
|Slide-on Table||2 Foam Pads|
|Free Hand System (Knee Lift)||Oil|
|Soft Cover||Lint brush|
|Accessory Wardrobe||Straight Stitch/ Cutwork Needle Plate|
All this plus the fantastic 7 year Bernina warranty.
But don’t take our word for it, have a look at this great Bernina video showcasing the BERNINA 770QE.
Sorry, but you’ll have to supply your own kittens!
Offer available until 31 May 2018 while stocks last
We love it when our clients are happy, and every now and then we get such a lovely letter we just have to share it.
Here’s what Elizabeth G had to say about Rick, the Bernina Doctor.
Please pass on my heartfelt thanks to Rick, I bought my Bernina Artista 640 [a few years ago], at the time was not thinking about the embroidery module, sadly , the module was discontinued much to my annoyance I was not informed of this, so, when I did decide the time was right I was left high and dry, until, my Husband, browsing through the website for Bernina products he came across Quilt Direct, this “light bulb” moment discovery was to prove a turning point in my life, not only , with your knowledge and help did I get a module that would work on my 640, but, the amazing Rick came into my life , well not only my life but also my 640 !! I had never really got the high definition sewing results I had expected, until, having spoken with Rick on the telephone, here I must also point out Rick spent an inordinate amount of his time on the phone explaining how I could improve the working of my machine, which I had been constantly returning to the shop for correction and maintenance which was like putting a sticking plaster over a gaping wound !! at this point my Husband and I decided to make the nearly 400 mile round trip to see you and allow Rick to do a proper and I emphasise, a proper service, needless to say after Rick had worked his magic proving his knowledge of Bernina machines second to none I was given back a machine working better than it had ever done even from day one of purchase, I cannot praise Rick highly enough I call him my hero as the overriding joy I get from my sewing and embroidery has enhanced my life a hundred fold, as an 80 year old and a sewer from the age of 12 I have had a number of sewing machines but, never , has sewing given one more delight than my Bernina 640 and that is all up to Rick to whom I shall be eternally grateful .. no one else will be trusted with the maintenance work it will always be sent to Rick I just cannot praise him highly enough … needless to say, my Bernina 700 will also be under the sole protection of Rick. I would highly recommend his expertise and workmanship to anyone wishing to prolong and receive the high definition of work from their machine to none other than RICK … my thanks to you both for all you have done for me over the last two years proving no matter what age you are, given the best machine and best mechanic you will have endless hours of pleasure
Yours most sincerely
Well, that made Rick blush! Rick and everyone at Quilt Direct are privileged to be a part of this happy story, and we hope Elizabeth has many, many more years of happy sewing.
If you want to find out a bit more about getting a bit of Rick magic into your Bernina, send us a quick email.